The HGS Dining Room is open daily at break and lunchtime, and provides a selection of hot and cold food and soft drinks. In addition, the Coffee Shop is open to Sixth Form students and staff between 8am and 1.30pm each day.
In our Dining Room, we offer a range of options to encourage healthy eating. There is a 'Meal of the Day' available at a fixed price of £2.70 - this includes a main dinner served with a choice of potato, vegetables and dessert. Most students prefer to make their choice from the full and varied range of hot and cold dishes (which also cater for vegetarians and those with special dietary needs). A selection of food can also be taken away.
Examples of the food on offer includes:
- Main meal – Shepherd's pie, Veggie quarter pounders topped with salsa & cheese, macaroni cheese, quiche, assorted fresh vegetables, selection of potatoes
- Chilled products - sandwiches, filled rolls, wraps, flatbreads, pasta salads
- Salad bar - help yourself to a variety of different salads
- Pasta & jacket potato bar - hot pasta with a daily choice of sauce, jacket potatoes with a variety of fillings topped with cheese
- Bakery - fresh tray bakes, doughnuts, cookies and muffins
- Desserts - fruit salad, fresh fruit, yoghurts, jelly, mousse, cheesecakes
- Drinks - water, flavoured water, cartons of fresh juice, milkshakes
The Catering Manager Lin Wilson and her team, along with the midday supervisors, are happy to help and welcome you into the Dining Room. If you are unsure about any food, please ask any member of staff in the kitchen.
If our current menus do not cater for your child’s individual needs we can usually accommodate any special dietary requirements they may have.
Cashless catering system
The Dining Room and Coffee Shop use a cashless catering system for the purchase of meals, snacks and drinks. The system uses the latest biometric technology. This scans the student’s finger, generating a unique number that is used in the system to identity your child and allow them to spend money from their cashless account. The fingerprint image is not stored and cannot be used by any other system.
You can pay money onto the cashless account via ParentPay, the online payment system.
The Dining Room is unable to accept cash at the tills for any purchases.
The Coffee Shop can accept contactless payments from Sixth Form students via card or mobile phone.
The school has adopted 'Healthy Schools' status and encourages students to eat healthily, be active, appreciate their surroundings and care for their physical and mental well-being.
Healthy eating guidelines
- Thinking about eating a mixed, varied and balanced diet
- Aiming to select fruits and vegetables (five a day)
- Thinking before adding any salt
- Trying to select healthier snack options
- Aiming to eat or drink something before starting school (apart from during religious festivals)
- Receiving some healthy eating education
- Drinking plenty of water. Aim for eight glasses a day